Position: EMEA Employment Counsel
The role is a key member of the EMEA Legal Team, supporting and advising the EMEA Senior leaders and HR team on a varied caseload. The role as it relates to employment law, is responsible for the EMEA region, but with a strong focus on the UK and France. The role reports to and works closely on a day-to-day basis with the DGC and is expected on occasion to deputise for the DGC.
- Advising senior management and HR on all aspects of employment and employee relations including contractual agreements, TUPE, redundancy, restructures, settlement agreements, disputes, performance improvement, complex grievances or disciplinary matters, internal policies and procedures, employee privacy, whistleblowing, DEI initiatives, restrictive covenants and terminations, corporate transactions, discrimination claims, social plans, collective bargaining agreements, works councils, union and arbitration proceedings;
- Supporting senior management and HR in their interactions and negotiations with individual employees, Trade unions and Country and EU Works Councils;
- Managing all employment litigation, including representing McCormick before the Courts and instructing and managing external counsel;
- Managing all EMEA transformational projects and advising the business from an employment law perspective on the most appropriate course of action whilst limiting risk on strategic goals;
- Designing and implementing governance, systems and processes to ensure EMEA-wide compliance with applicable employment law and regulations;
- Horizon scanning to monitor, be prepared for and advise the HR team and senior management on new legislation;
- Drafting relevant guidance and practice notes for the HR team;
- Overseeing regular reviews of employee Handbooks, contracts of employment and policies to always ensure legal compliance;
- Participating in internal committees as appropriate, including Data Privacy committee;
- Identifying, preparing and delivering required training to key stakeholders on pending changes in employment and labour related laws;
- Reviewing whistleblowing cases received through the company’s internal system and advising on HR Compliance issues.
- Proven experience as an employment lawyer;
- Holds a current SRA Practising Certificate or BSB Authorisation to Practise and have trained and qualified at a well regarded law firm;
- Relevant post-qualification experience in a well-regarded law firm or multi-national corporate environment (FMCG in house), with an emphasis on labour & employment law;
- Substantial experience of EU, UK and French employment law and litigation, some experience of other EMEA jurisdictions preferred;
- Good understanding of the GDPR;
- Fluent in English and French and can explain legal concepts and issues clearly, succinctly and in plain English and French at all levels of the business, verbally and in writing;
- Experience of working in a global, cross-functional matrix organization and managing transformational projects;
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and handle competing priorities;
- Able to take a pragmatic, risk-based approach and to use legal knowledge to help deliver the strategic objectives of the business;
- Able to demonstrate well-developed communication skills and the ability to persuade and influence without coercion;
- Able to interact at all levels of the business and to be an ambassador for “OneEMEA” and the McCormick brand values internally and externally;
- Able to work under direction, but also use initiative and work with autonomy where appropriate;
- Ability to remain calm under pressure, be mature, discreet, flexible and proactive.
Company manufactures, markets, and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavourful products to the entire food industry, retail outlets, food manufactures, food service businesses and consumers.
While our global headquarters are in the Baltimore, Maryland, USA area, McCormick operates and serves customers from nearly 60 locations in 25 countries and 170 markets in Asia-Pacific, China, Europe, Middle East and Africa, and the Americas, including North, South and Central America with recognized brands including Schwartz.
At McCormick, we have over a 100-year legacy based on our “Power of People” principle. This principle fosters an unusually dedicated workforce requiring a culture of respect, recognition, inclusion and collaboration based on the highest ethical values.
Agencies: McCormick as needed will work with external recruitment vendors through our Agency Portal. Unless previously contacted, McCormick does not accept unsolicited resumes from external recruiting agencies.
McCormick & Company is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, colour, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy/ies.