Better Food, a leading independent retailer of organic, local and ethical food and health and beauty products, is seeking an experienced Buying Manager to oversee the sourcing and purchasing functions for our growing business.
With four shops in Bristol, we are inviting this role to join our leadership team on our exciting journey to develop the business and be ready to open new stores. Bringing a passion for food, environment and sustainability issues, as well as an organised and commercially focused approach, you will help to lead the business in commercial success, innovation and growth.
Better Food has an annual turnover of £7m and this enables us to make a significant contribution to the Organic market in the UK, as well as supporting and developing a range of local and national food networks. As a Buying Manager you will have direct impact upon the success of the business and can positively influence the wider world with environmentally driven decision making. Our mission is to make a difference for planet and people, both on a local and a global scale, and this role is vital to our achievement of this.
Our Buying team, which this role is responsible for, sources based upon environmentally conscientious criteria: from supply chains and production methods to NPD and sustainable packaging. You will be able to help shape these processes and be able to stay up to date with developments and innovation in all related areas. Through your vision, as shared with our leadership team, you will be focused on nurturing and developing sustainable business stakeholder relationships, delivering financial targets and ensuring that Better Food is driving an important and meaningful agenda.
Requirements for the role:
- A proven passion to make a positive impact in business
- 2+ years of managerial experience
- 3+ years of buying/procurement experience
- Confident & experienced in the use of Excel, data management and stock control systems
- Highly organised with a proven ability to forward plan and pre-empt sales cycles
- Excellent people skills, including negotiation and supplier management
- Confident understanding of P&L and a proven track record to deliver to targets
- Deep understanding of the Organic & natural food market, food trends and the wider retail context
- Ability to work collaboratively with all levels of the business and contribute at an eloquent and meaningful level with the senior leadership team
Day to day responsibilities:
- Curate and oversee our portfolio of products in line with our sourcing policy, ensuring we keep ahead of market trends and developments
- Manage all supplier relationships on an operational and commercial level to deliver success and best practice to the business
- Ensure continued growth in sales, margin, price updates & stock availability, all within strict deadlines
- Manage and deliver a monthly price promotional cycle which supports the business in sales, profitability, and customer satisfaction
- Manage the existing buying team as well as having an oversight of store based stock controllers
- Working with other department leads to evolve the successful operational delivery of the business while safeguarding the interests of the business at all times
- Salary: £38,000- £42,000 dependent on experience
- Free lunch
- 25% discount across all Better Food locations
- Extra holiday accrual – extra day per year for 5 years.
- Plus, much more
This role is based in Bristol in our St Werburgh’s shop
40 hours per week, Monday – Friday with flexibility to work outside of this on occasion and according to the needs of the business.