Position: EMEA Associate Commercial Counsel
Based: Haddenham, UK (hybrid)
The Senior Commercial Counsel, EMEA role forms part of the EMEA Legal Team and is highly diverse, supporting both the Consumer and Flavour Solutions (B2B) businesses and all enabling functions, both in the UK and across most of the EMEA region.
The role reports to and works closely on a day to day basis with the EMEA Deputy General Counsel and will be expected on occasion to deputise for the DGC. The role also works closely with EMEA senior management, key account managers and colleagues in Commercial, Procurement, Finance, Marketing, Regulatory, Supply Chain, HR and other functions.
- Reviewing, drafting, negotiating and advising on a wide range of B2B supplier and customer contracts, including product development, product supply, distribution, and e-commerce contracts.
- Advising and collaborating with senior management on legal and regulatory issues impacting ongoing business activities and future development opportunities, to help facilitate opportunity and risk assessment and sound business decision-making.
- Supporting the Procurement function with ad hoc advice on discrete issues, contract reviews and assistance with contract negotiations.
- Advising on anti-trust and data privacy issues, industry codes of conduct and advertising and marketing regulations
- Designing, developing and implementing legal function process improvements, policies and procedures and delivery of legal training.
- Researching and writing legal briefing and guidance notes.
- Managing external counsel effectively at the direction of the DGC.
- LLB Bachelor of Law or equivalent with relevant post-qualification experience min 4+PQE.
- Current SRA Practising Certificate or BSB Authorisation to Practise.
- Trained and qualified at a respected law firm or chambers.
- Experience in the FMCG sector strongly preferred, ideally in a multinational environment.
- A strong grounding in English contract law and extensive experience of drafting and negotiating English law B2B contracts, including cross border contracts.
- Good understanding of the principles of IP licensing and experience of negotiating and drafting IP licenses.
- Knowledge of UK Bribery Act, FCPA, Modern Slavery Act and a working knowledge of the UK Competition Law and data privacy regimes.
- Experience of UK advertising and marketing regulatory regime.including E – Commerce.
- Experience of instructing and managing external counsel.
- Experience of working in a cross-functional matrix organization.
- Ability to take a pragmatic, risk-based approach and to use legal knowledge to help deliver the strategic objectives of the business.
- Ability to explain legal concepts and issues clearly, succinctly and in plain English at all levels of an organisation.
- Well-developed communication skills and the ability to persuade and influence.
- Self-motivation and ability to work and make decisions autonomously. Ability to remain calm under pressure and keep those around you calm.
- Effective negotiation skills.
At McCormick, we bring our passion for flavor to work each day. We encourage growth, respect everyone's contributions and do what's right for our business, our people, our communities and our planet. Join us on our quest to make every meal and moment better.
Founded in Baltimore, MD in 1889 in a room and a cellar by 25-year-old Willoughby McCormick with three employees, McCormick is a global leader in flavour. With 14 000 employees around the world and more than $6 Billion in annual sales, the Company manufactures, markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavourful products to the entire food industry, retail outlets, food manufactures, food service businesses and consumers
While our global headquarters are in the Baltimore, Maryland, USA area, McCormick operates and serves customers from nearly 60 locations in 25 countries and 170 markets in Asia-Pacific, China, Europe, Middle East and Africa, and the Americas, including North, South and Central America with recognized brands including Schwartz..
At McCormick, we have over a 100-year legacy based on our “Power of People” principle. This principle fosters an unusually dedicated workforce requiring a culture of respect, recognition, inclusion and collaboration based on the highest ethical values.
Agencies: McCormick as needed will work with external recruitment vendors through our Agency Portal. Unless previously contacted, McCormick does not accept unsolicited resumes from external recruiting agencies.
McCormick & Company is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, colour, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy/ies.