We have been producing great tasting food for over 185 years, since William Symington founded the company in 1827 and shortly after applied for the patent to produce soup from Pea Flour. Our history travels via the Crimean war, via Gracie Fields advertising onto our present state.
Today we are a leading branded convenience food business that strongly believes convenience doesn’t mean compromise on taste. Excitingly, we are also now part of a growing Italian food business having recently joined Newlat Food SPA, who are committed to increased investment and rapid growth in the UK.
We strive through our brands to innovate and grow every market we operate in.
- We have exciting brands bought by millions of people every day. We are also at the forefront of on-trend high growth categories and product areas.
- Our Naked brand continues to grow, delivering authentic Asian flavour in convenient formats.
- The Mug Shot, Hungry Elephant, Oatburst and Chicken Tonight brands complete a fantastic portfolio of grocery brands all set for innovation and growth in the coming years
Our product development team is always busy cooking up new ideas, so there’ll be many more exciting & flavoursome products to come!
So, what’s it really like to work for us?
Here at Symington’s, we’re invested in what we do. Every decision we make is guided by our company Values which embody everything we stand for. That’s why we’re proud to share them with you:
- We are Passionate Foodies- We want to be famous for making food that tastes amazing. We live and breathe food – it’s in our DNA. We strive to be the most innovative food business that we can be. We are proud of our food heritage.
- We earn People’s Trust- We trust in the abilities of our talented teams, and nurture their potential. We are one team we support, trust and constructively challenge each other. We are our authentic selves integrity is at our core. We are honest and transparent in everything we do
- We do The Right Thing- We do the right thing for our people, for our business, for our community and for the environment.
- We act like Owners- We have an entrepreneurial spirit. We find solutions. We are all accountable. We are not afraid to get things wrong.
Luckily there is now an opportunity to join us and be part of the Team, as we’re seeking to recruit a Consumer Insight Manager help guide us in our continued growth.
This is a new role for the business as we look to accelerate our insight and understanding around our key brands (Naked and Mug Shot) and to help shape the future direction of our branded portfolio. This role needs to champion the consumer and bring insights in to the key brands, Innovation and commercial teams. The role will support the brand teams in identifying and unlocking growth opportunities along with a future focus on the overall portfolio. Equally there is a key role to play in analysing and reporting on brand performance to understand key drivers and identify challenges or opportunities. The role will also be the lead on all consumer research to ensure a clear brief, correct methodology and consistent management of research findings.
- Champions the consumer and brings insight to life creating best practise within the business
- Lead and manage external agencies for the execution of research projects and tracking and evaluation of brand campaigns. Responsible for reviewing, recommending and organising appropriate research to meet business objectives with a clear focus on brand. Guardian of consumer truth
- Leads the creation of Consumer Insight briefs using existing research such as Kantar, Nielsen, Brand Equity, Market trends to help the business better understand the target consumer
- Proactively devise actionable strategies from consumer insight that identifies how the business can win with them and share with key stakeholders
- Proactively identify industry research and trends to help anticipate future consumer and market needs that are fed into the business strategy
- Creation and management of an accessible central hub for consumer insight that is collated and organised to enable actionable decision making for the business in line with the company strategy
- Working closely with Innovation, PD and Category to ensure the consumer lens is at the core of the major business projects
- Strong understanding of category data working alongside the category team to ensure shared knowledge and alignment on brand KPIS which feed into customer sell in presentations
- Collaborates with the Innovation Manager on the coordination of Innovation workshops and the coordination of concept testing methods
- Bringing the consumer perspective to marketing decision making with clear analysis and research to provide insights and recommendations Category and consumer to drive brand and commercials decisions which deliver business results
Self-Development & Business Behaviours
- Self-starter with a pro-active and inquisitive approach
- Demonstrable brand and insight understanding and the ability to turn this in to action
- Project management experience Can do attitude with a strong work ethic, able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Able to operate as part of a team both within Marketing and the broader Commercial function Ability to build strong stakeholder relationships
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including negotiation and delivering presentations on an advanced level
- Ability to communicate and operate effectively to all levels within the business Good presenting skills both peer to peer and with the board
The ideal candidate will have a combination of brand and consumer insight experience and be clear on how to unlock growth with strong consumer insights. Management of external research agencies will be important in order to deliver clear briefs in budget and on time. The individual will be able to interrogate market data and research and proactively identify opportunities. They will have a track record of turning consumer insight in to actionable plans. The ideal candidate will have had a mix of brand and consumer insight roles across their career, ideally in food but as a minimum in FMCG.
Please Note: We have chosen to Partner with PT Executive and 1 other PSL Provider, therefore we kindly ask that other recruiters respect our decision and do not contact us in relation to this role. Thank You.