Are you a natural, fluent writer? Do you have a nose for news and head for finance? Are you passionate about restaurants, pubs and bars with an interest in how these business tick?
Leading food and drink publisher William Reed is actively recruiting for an experienced journalist to fill the role of news editor for its prestigious MCA title.
MCA is a news and insight service for the leaders of the eating and drinking out sector. This includes the CEOs and MDs of established high street names such Wagamama, Nando’s and Five Guys, as well as the next generation of emerging brands.
A premium paid-for subscription service, MCA sits alongside sister titles BigHospitality and Morning Advertiser, and uncovers the news behind the news. Publishing a range of insight, analysis, features and interviews, we reveal the opportunities and challenges, as well as the individuals and concepts that are shaping this dynamic sector. As such, it’s essential reading for c-suite of operators, suppliers, industry watchers and analysts.
Alongside our editorial offering, MCA boasts an industry-leading events programme, which includes the Restaurant Conference, Pub Conference, Food to Go Conference, and Retailers’ Retailer Awards, our very own ‘Oscars of the hospitality industry’. With events forming a major part of our business revenue, you will be expected to contribute ideas and secure speakers for this year-round programme.
With the pandemic challenges and associated restrictions of the past two years, the need for up-to-date, relevant market intelligence has never been greater.
We are looking for a journalist with several years’ proven experience in a fast-paced news journalism environment to produce breaking news, exclusives, financial analysis and insight. You will also write profiles and interviews with industry figures, cover new openings and report on executive people moves. Strong digital and social media skills are a must as MCA is a web-first operation, with a digital monthly edition. The ability to share responsibility for early starts (7am) with the team is also essential.
MCA is part of William Reed, the leading specialist food and drink publisher and events producer behind 50 World’s Best Restaurants and The Grocer. We sit in the same division as Lumina Intelligence, a London-based food & drink data insight consultancy which provides comprehensive reports and bespoke research for major brands. This offers the potential for some London-based working alongside our main office in Crawley, as well as access to exclusive insight for our daily news content.
This a fast-paced, busy role with daily deadlines, and includes the opportunity to attend industry events and openings, restaurant previews and launch parties.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Managing MCA’s news and finance reporting agenda, by identifying stories, publishing breaking news and populating the website with fresh content on a daily basis
- Researching, writing and curating a daily newsletter, to be shared with the small editorial team of editor and deputy editor
- Examining financial accounts and identify angles for news items, analysis and interview questions
- Assessing data insights from the key providers and identify relevant angles for editorial content
- Developing and delivering in-depth analysis and features examining brands and trends within the industry
- Writing in-depth interviews, profiles and news analysis pieces for our newsletter and monthly digital edition
- Networking and building contacts with key industry figures, attend events, openings, and generate content
- Embracing multimedia, using social media to push and promote MCA content
- Contributing ideas and planning of content for editorial coverage and events
- Attending MCA and external events and conferences, contribute to events ideas and hosting panel session and live Q&As
- Substantial experience in a fast-paced news-gathering environment, such as the national, regional or financial press, or B2B publications
- A head for news and the determination to secure exclusives
- Fluency and understanding in business, industry and finance
- An appreciation of the hospitality industry, its current pressures and the key brands within it
- Confidence and calmness under pressure; hard-working and self-motivated; excellent writing skills
- Comfortable networking and engaging with CEO-level contacts to secure news and interviews
- Multimedia skills – digital publishing, social media, video publishing
Why work for us
William Reed has been providing market leading business information for over 150 years. From our origins in grocery, we have expanded across food and drink and into new sectors, including pharmaceuticals and cosmetics.
Fulfilling our role in the 21st century has meant harnessing digital channels to deliver insightful journalism and high-value data to businesses the world over. Guided by our Mission & Values, our Group’s activities now include category defining digital and print media, innovative business events and conferences, prestigious awards and informative conferences. We offer compelling research and powerful insights to our customers as well as providing recruitment and e-learning solutions within our core markets.
We provide a supportive work environment and are committed to maintaining a healthy work/life balance for all of our employees. Working for William Reed means that you will be joining a stable organisation that is committed to developing its employees and brands.
We have offices in Gatwick and London, UK; Montpellier, France; Singapore and Chicago, US. Please let us know if you would like to discuss this further. In line with the Company’s current Agile Working Policy, the successful candidate would be eligible to work part of the week from our Crawley office and to work remotely for the rest of the week.
We warmly welcome and encourage applications from talented individuals of all backgrounds and characteristics. If you need any support in accessing this opportunity, please do not hesitate to discuss this with us.
COMPANY BENEFITS INCLUDE
- Competitive Salary
- 25 days annual leave in addition to bank holidays
- Contributory Pension
- Life Assurance Scheme
- Group Income Protection
- Opportunity to participate in the Company’s Agile Working Policy
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying for the position, please email with:
- Your up-to-date CV
- A one-page cover letter telling us why your experience and skills are a match for this role
- Any links or PDF examples of your journalistic output, to demonstrate relevant skills and knowledge
We look forward to hearing from you.