The Bar Manager position is an integral management position at Salcombe Distilling Co, often managing the first point of contact that customers have with our brand. The position is as much a Brand Ambassador as it is Bar Manager, and this valuable member of the team should lead by example. We are also looking for an Assistant Bar Manager to work alongside the new Bar Manager which is an exciting position with some fantastic responsibility involved.
- Managing staff rotas and anticipating staff levels during peak seasonal periods to ensure that we are adequately staffed and that there is always a shift supervisor assigned.
- Provide induction and ongoing training to new starters as well as returning seasonal staff each year. Training to cover all areas, including mixology, bar preparation and set up and shutdown and cleaning.
- Managing the recruitment of new staff and liaising with HR on all new hires
- Stock control, including weekly ordering and regular stock takes
- Stock ordering to ensure we maintain sufficient levels of stock that are delivered in good time by the most efficient method possible
- Cashing up
- Weekly banking and follow-up email to accounts team with all totals banked that day for Bar, Victuallers & Events cash held on site
- Assist with monthly stock take and ensure any discrepancies are investigated & resolved
- Working the bar, making drinks & cocktails for customers, offering advice regarding cocktail menu and gin choices and selling the ‘Salcombe Story’.
- Always up-sell in the correct manner and promote any offers
- Monitor and ensure the current order & billing system is functioning as it should
- Implementing changes where necessary to increase sales or operations, ie. Updating till systems, cleaning rotas, training sessions, etc.
To be right for one of these positions, you should have:
- A background in hospitality, ideally in a bar or pub
- Experience and knowledge of cocktail mixing and alcoholic beverages, particularly gin and rum
- A confident, friendly and warm personality with an ability to build rapport with our members and visiting customers.
- Experience managing permanent and seasonal staff, including creating and maintaining rotas and managing performance reviews
- To be able to cope with variable levels of trade throughout the week/year and plan accordingly.
- The ability to make commercial decisions on suppliers and pricing.
About Salcombe Distilling Co.
Salcombe Distilling Co was formed in 2014 by our founders & directors, Angus & Howard, with the sole purpose of creating one of the world’s finest gins in the stunning and iconic coastal town of Salcombe, Devon. Having built a purpose-built distillery on the water in Salcombe, which opened to the public in November 2016 and launched Salcombe Gin to critical acclaim in summer 2016, Salcombe Gin has gained an enviable reputation amongst gin connoisseurs the world over. The Company launched its second core brand, New London Light, a bold and contemporary non-alcoholic spirit in 2020 and anticipates significant growth in this fast evolving global sector in the coming years.