Job Title: Transport & Logistics Manager
Reporting To: Supply Manager
Contract type: Full time 6-month contract (must be available for an immediate start)
About The Felix Project
The Felix Project is London's biggest food redistribution charity and the largest end-to-end food redistribution charity in Europe.
Our vision is a London where no one goes hungry and good food is never wasted.
We rescue surplus food from businesses, supermarkets, restaurants and farms. This food is nutritious, in-date, and safe and includes a high proportion of fresh vegetables, fruit, meat and fish. If we did not rescue this food, it would be at risk of going to waste. Instead, we deliver it free of charge to London charities, schools, food banks, COVID food hubs and other organisations serving people in need. Our food is a vital lifeline for children and families, people on low incomes, people who have lost their jobs, the homeless, refugees, domestic abuse survivors, the elderly and keyworkers.
We are a very ambitious and dynamic young charity and we haven’t stopped growing since we were founded in 2016 in memory of Felix Byam Shaw, by his father, entrepreneur Justin Byam Shaw. We recently ran a very high-profile media campaign with the Evening Standard and Independent, raising £10million to feed London. We have celebrity endorsement from Reece James, Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Jack Whitehall, Steven Fry, James May and many others.
Last year we delivered enough food for 21.1 million meals to help people in need. We have continuing major growth plans for the next 4 years, with a target of delivering enough food for 100 million meals by 2024. Because nearly all the food we receive is donated by the food industry and volunteers, every £1 of expenditure redistributes £10 worth of food.
Purpose of the Job
The main purpose of the role is to manage and book all transport activity in a timely manner working with our Felix depots, Felix supply team and supplier base to optimise all transport routes and maximise deliveries into our depots. You will engage new hauliers and couriers to expand our network. The role will require interaction with Felix systems and external systems to ensure we are tracking cost against progress.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Manage all Felix transport activity
- Identify new opportunities with haulage and courier companies
- Optimise the transport we currently have in place
- Liaise with the depot teams over any day-to-day issues with hauliers and couriers
- Work with the supplier base and Felix Supply team so deliveries of stock are consistent and maximised
- Identify opportunities across our volunteer base to assist with haulage requirements
- Work with depots and suppliers to build in crate returns processes
You will have an understanding of logistics transport and an appreciation of the principles of the associated systems. You want to be in a charity that is expanding rapidly and thrive under pressure, you will love working cross functionally and having lots of ‘moving parts’ at any given time!
Essential skills/knowledge relevant to this role
- An understanding of the current logistics ‘landscape’ and an appreciation of the challenges it currently holds
- An understanding of Logistics
- An understanding of WMS systems
- The ability to work under pressure to defined time scales
- To be able to manage stakeholder’s requirements in a fair and balanced way
- Ability to travel, visiting hauliers / couriers and all four Felix sites when necessary
- Meticulous organisation skills and attention to detail
- Good PC skills, particularly Microsoft Office
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work within a team of varied individuals with a positive attitude
- Full UK Driving Licence
Desirable skills/knowledge relevant to this role
- Transport Manager CPC
- Knowledge of food safety legislation and HACCP
What you’ll get in return
You will be working in an upbeat, innovative charity with strong vision, ambition and a fantastic culture and leadership team. This role will be based across our four sites in Park Royal, Enfield, Deptford and Poplar, with some remote working, and there will be regular travel when necessary. The salary is c £30,000-£35,000 per annum (dependant on experience), 25 days annual leave + bank holidays.
Contract Type: 6 Month FTC
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday between 9.00am to 5pm & Saturday 9.00am to 11.30am (some flexibility will be required due to the nature of the role)
Please apply via this website with a CV and covering letter demonstrating your suitability for the role or email CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Transport & Logistics Manager’ in the title.
Applications close: Wednesday 28th July 2021
Interviews: Friday 30th July
Start date: early August/ASAP
Please note: The need for this post is urgent, therefore we are looking for candidates able to start immediately.