Job Description – Relationship Manager, UnpackagedAT
● Contract: Permanent, Part Time (3 days per week)
● Salary: £24-£27,000 per annum (£40-45,000 FTE)
● Location: We are a remote team (based between London and the South West) and encourage planned face-to-face team time (Covid permitting)
● Travel: There will be some UK based travel as part of the role
● Anticipated Start Date: August 2021 (date tba. with the successful candidate)
● Application Deadline: 10pm, Saturday 31st July
● Interviews: W/C Monday 9th August on Zoom.
Launched in 2006, Unpackaged pioneered the Zero Waste retail business model which is now a global trend; we are at the forefront of the Zero Waste movement in the UK and globally.
Our vision is a world without unnecessary packaging, with resources preserved for future generations. Our mission is to make shopping packaging-free through a range of B2B and B2C refill & reuse systems.
Unpackaged has worked on most of the major supermarket refill launches (e.g. Waitrose, M&S, Abel & Cole etc.) as well as supporting Government and NGOs with policy development to support the growing Zero Waste sector.
Having started with our own shop in 2007, we have always had a real passion for the independent sector and work with many independent retailers from large farm shops, food halls and garden centres; to smaller community Zero Waste shops.
We are offering a permanent position to join the team, managing the UnpackagedAT programme.
The UnpackagedAT Relationship Manager Role
This is an exciting time for UnpackagedAT.
UnpackagedAT is a one-stop solution to help independent retailers reduce plastic packaging in-store. UnpackagedAT combines premium refill systems with a bulk product range, plus our guidance throughout the installation process and support through ongoing membership.
We’ve recently launched the programme with our partners at Cotswold Fayre which has allowed us to rapidly expand our reach. There's a huge opportunity to lead and grow the programme to help our retailers to embed zero waste in their businesses and drive sales.
Key activities include:
● Strategic Development - working with our partners at Cotswold Fayre who drive sales, the Relationship Manager looks after retailer engagement, regular support and communications
● Relationship Management - developing and maintaining relationships with our key retailers, suppliers and partner organisations
● Daily Project Management - including day to day planning and project management of new retailers, installations and management of our tools and resources
● Team Management – managing and growing our freelance team who deliver installations for our retailers
● Special Project Development – leading on the development of new solutions for our retailers & partners.
This is a management role. You will report directly to, and work with, the Founder. We expect the successful candidate to thrive on working independently and having ownership of their own workstreams.
Ideally suited for someone with a love of retail, even better if you understand the independent sector.
We recognise that Unpackaged is at the cutting edge of retail - we don’t expect you to have direct experience within the Zero Waste sector; we are looking for someone with the right transferable skills and commercial mindset who can apply this to an exciting growing sector that is having real impact on both the retail landscape, and the single-use plastic crisis.
Skills & Experience
● A sound commercial awareness, with experience in the retail sector
● Experience managing relationships
● Experience of managing projects or programmes
● Excellent project management and time management skills – you are brilliant at prioritising and multi-tasking.
● An understanding of how to design or manage a communications/ engagement plan
● A passion for the environment.
● Strive to reach the highest standards in customer & client service
● Are a great team player and line manager
● Are a problem solver - practical, proactive and positive, with a ‘can-do’ attitude
● Are an excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills
● Enjoy working as part of a small team and influencing internal decisions
● Are keen to learn how Unpackaged works and share that knowledge with others.
We are a small organisation with a big reach - from humble beginnings with our own market stalls and shops, we are now the leading consultancy in our field. As an SME focused on fostering and harnessing talent, there is scope for your development within the company as
we enter this next phase in our evolution.
As a small team we sometimes need an ‘all hands to the pump’ approach on priority projects which can be incredibly exciting due to the nature of our work and the impact we have. We’re therefore looking for someone who’d be happy to step out of their role on occasion and help their colleagues across the business.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from everyone in the community, from across the UK. We are not looking to hire an overseas based team member.
Please send a CV and a (max) 2-page cover letter by using the apply button below explaining:
● Your suitability for the role
● What you feel you can contribute to our team