Welcome to Hovis. We are the proud guardians of over 130 years of baking experience that make up our iconic and much-loved brand. We produce bread and bakery products created with Hovis goodness at the heart of each. We deliver around 1.3million loaves, every day of the week throughout the UK and Ireland, where we also make Mothers Pride and Ormo products.
We are 2,800 people working within 8 bakeries, 1 flour mill, and 2 regional distribution centres across the UK. Our success is a result of the hard work of our people; they are experts in their field whether it’s baking, manufacturing, logistics, engineering, or the many departments within the central functions team based in our head office in High Wycombe. We are a values-led business and expect our colleagues to live, breathe, and embed Quality, Accountability, and Trust into their ways of working.
A great opportunity for a Manufacturing Manager has arisen at our Erith site. You will be required to effectively lead the Supply Chain and Engineering teams to ensure the efficient and effective production of Safe and Legal food. The successful candidate will ensure quality requirements are adhered to and will develop a quality culture throughout the manufacturing site by actively facilitating continuous improvement.
Ideally you will have experience within the Baking industry with past experience of Engineering. If you are looking for a new challenge where you can deliver a best in class service within a family heritage brand please see further details below and apply today.
- To manage, develop and lead the Supply Chain (including incoming materials), Engineering
- Disciplinary and grievance hearing management
- Absence management
- Effectively manage, develop and lead the site Supply Chain operations and Engineering teams
- Ability to communicate a compelling and inspired vision for the site teams
- Relationship management with shop stewards
- Key member of the Senior Leadership Team
- Develop a robust materials procurement process to deliver a JIT solution for all elements of the BOMs.
- Creates and delivers the production strategy and area plan and uses their team to ensure continuous improvement activity is in place to drive year on year improvements
- Owns and reviews department organisation structure and headcount standards, ensuring appropriate succession plans, recruitment and development plans are in place
- Develop an efficient and effective production in line with the site plan and key business performance indicators
- Develop and efficient and effective engineering support operation in line with the site plan and key business performance indicators
- Collaborate with Site Management and Central Engineering team to develop effective site maintenance plan, considering effectiveness and frequency of PM activities versus overall plant availability and reliability
- Ensure all reactive work is recorded and trended to allow analysis of plant defects and to identify permanent solutions to the issues logged.
- Participate in and lead capital projects at all stages including identification of CAPEX opportunities
- Ensures accurate performance reporting across the site for all measures required.
- Accountable for LCL and implementation of Hovis quality programmes into the Manufacturing environment
- Drive the utilisation and development of the IDHammer CMMS system
- Ensure effective re-commissioning of process equipment following maintenance attention
- Ensure all maintenance activities are compliant with all safety, quality, cost and productivity targets
- Day to day responsibilities of raw materials, production planning and end to end manufacturing process
- Development of production, maintenance and supply chain budgets and manage the budgets and team resources to deliver an effective service
- Responsible for the management and review of allocated outsourced contracts
- To lead product quality delivery for the site in line with the product improvement strategy
- To ensure the site complies with the company and legal standards (safety, hygiene, environment, security and procurement)
- Facilitate the identification and resolution of plant reliability issues, utilising appropriate resources, tools and techniques
- 3rd party audits
- Materials within specification
Essential role related knowledge, skills, qualifications and experience required:
- Food Technology Degree Qualified
- Experience of FMCG Manufacturing business
- Experience within the Baking Industry with some Engineering experience
- Experience of managing a multi discipline FMCG Manufacturing Site
- Experience of managing large scale Change programmes
- Knowledge of legislation governing Food Compliance, Employment, Health and Safety and other related topics
- Inspirational Leader
- Champion of engagement through leading and coaching
- Ability to support and liaise with all SLT roles
- Must have excellent budgetary control, work within the constraints of the business and create realistic improvements
- Seeks out and shares best practice across the business
- Ability to switch easily between focusing on the long term and resolving issues that need action today
- Considers the whole site when planning and coordinating the use of resources to achieve long term goals
- Ensures that their team of direct reports develop their management behaviours and skills as well as their technical skills
- Effective team builder within own site and across the business network
Type of role: Full Time, Permanent
Reporting to: Site Manager
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
Why work for us and our benefits:
At Hovis, we understand the importance of looking after our colleagues, so we provide a variety of benefits in addition to their salaries. The benefits we provide at Hovis are as varied as the people who receive them but they are offered with the intention of creating value to them personally over and above their salaries
- There is a range of colleague benefits available, which individuals can select based on their needs.
- Our benefits scheme is called Hovis Choice, which offers a variety of savings and cashback offers on day to day living and much more including eyecare vouchers, and a healthcare scheme to suit everyone. It also includes our Cycle to Work scheme where you can obtain a brand new bike at a significant saving
- We offer competitive annual leave entitlement and flexibility where possible in order to create a healthy work-life balance
- We celebrate loyalty with our generous long service and colleague recognition schemes
- We offer three levels of pensions
- Hovis values diversity and is committed to promoting equal opportunities in the workplace. Every job applicant, employee or worker will be treated fairly and equally with dignity and respect regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, social class, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religious belief, union membership, political opinion, sex, sexual orientation or any other protected characteristic.