A fantastic opportunity to join Gather and Gather as part of our Flagship Co-op Franchise at Oxford Brookes University.
To be responsible for the overall efficient and effective management of the University retail operations. To control all aspects of the retail operations, planning for growth and profitability as well as supervising and controlling the business, ensuring that efficient and economic use is made of all resources, including stock, team members and University assets whilst striving for excellence and complying with statutory regulations.
The retail operation is a seven day operation with hours as business requires to cover the operational needs and to provide a comprehensive service across the University Estate.
It is paramount that all staff act in accordance with the Hygiene, Health and Safety policies and procedures for which training and instruction will be given.
Your experience & qualifications for the role
You’ll be the kind of person who is always ready to get stuck in and work alongside colleagues on the shop floor.
We’re also looking for:
Retail or hospitality management experience.
Experience in leading and developing successful teams.
Experience in improving business performance and forecasting.
Commercial understanding of how to stand out against local competition.
Confidence in managing conflicting priorities.
- Lead, coach and develop the Store team so they’re multi-skilled, they can provide a consistently great customer experience and they understand the part they play in making a difference for the business, members and communities.
- Build links with the community and the rest of Co-op and proactively work together
- Role model and inspire your team to prepare, handle and present our food to members and customers in a way that makes you proud
- Be a commercial leader who delivers the best possible performance in your Store
- Inspire, lead and develop your team, creating a culture that ensures a safe and secure shop and a shopping/ service experience that exceeds our members’ and customers’ expectations
- Build and maintain excellent customer relations
- Develop and maintain robust feedback mechanisms and procedures for responding effectively to customer-related complaints/queries
- Motivate the team to deliver excellence in customer service at all times
- To lead by example and provide excellence in service front of house that invites rapport building and provides natural engagement and interaction with customers to enhance the customer experience
- To demonstrate a can-do attitude towards individual customer requests and to strive to exceed customer expectations to ensure the return of our customers
- To strive for “excellence” in all areas of the operation.
- Organise/ delegate work tasks to the team as appropriate to ensure opening, closing and setting up of all outlets is completed on time and to the required standard
- Ensure all legal labelling is adhered to.
- Maintain stock levels both overall and on individual lines so as not to cause detriment to sales
- Develop action plans following consumer satisfaction surveys and feedback and ensure all actions are completed.
- Have an excellent knowledge of all products in order to be able to advise both the team and customers.
- Identify any additional opportunities and discuss with your line manager
- Actively support all University/ department initiatives and accreditations such as Hospitality Assured and develop the team to strive for continuous improvement.
- Be responsible for management of the retail budget.
- Ensure all costs are managed to maximise efficiency and profitability.
- Carry out stock takes, monitor and manage the GP ensuring all wastage is recorded.
- Ensure that nominated suppliers are being used to provide the relevant supplies and to meet budgeted costs. Take appropriate action as required.
- Maintain and control all accounting and financial procedures and systems as required. Ensure costs and sales records are accurately inputted and maintained.
- Take responsibility for all cash relating to the Retail outlets and ensure the team follow correct cash procedures.
- Ensure that the EPOS system is used to maximum benefit.
- Review the trading account to ensure that any discrepancies with regards to GP, purchases, stock and labour are highlighted and actioned
- Ensure that all financial and other reports required either weekly / monthly / yearly are submitted at the appropriate times in the correct manner
- Compile and implement labour schedules within the labour budget.
- Adjust labour schedules in line with sales and ensure that all staff time-keeping is recorded accurately.
- Complete monthly timesheets to ensure that all staff receive the correct wages.
- Attend to all queries / problems from staff on time sheets, sickness forms, accident report forms etc. in a timely fashion.
- To be responsible for the care and security of all fixed assets, cash, stock and other university property.
- To be alert for all forms of dishonesty and to ensure any shrinkage is kept to an agreed level.
- In conjunction with the Marketing Manager, develop and implement the retail marketing plan.
- To be aware of all aspects of retail space management; to implement planograms, identify best sellers and action monthly promotions.
- To maximise all sales opportunities through selling techniques, promotional activity, product knowledge and employee training and development .
- Ensure all promotions are correctly implemented (where applicable)
Health, safety & environment
- To maintain temperature and other relevant records as required and to report any variance to your line manager.
- To make sure you are aware of and meet the all legal and University requirements for fire, safety, health and hygiene.
- To report HSE hazards, accidents, incidents, illness and diseases to your line manager to ensure the safety of staff and customers.
- Maintain a high standard of hygiene and safety in respect of premises, personal hygiene and food handling by ensuring completion of hygiene and safety training.
- Ensure cleaning duties are carried out in accordance with the shop cleaning schedules and report and follow up on faults and maintenance.
- To operate machinery as shown and trained to do so, ensuring that the equipment is used safely and in accordance with current regulations and company policies.
- To use personal protective equipment in accordance with training and instructions provided.