The Customs and Import department at Lidl GB is growing and we are now hiring for a Head of Customs. This is a high-profile position with huge responsibility, where you will require a professional approach and the skills to develop a customs framework as well as a team of customs compliance specialists.
You will develop, co-ordinate and oversee effective implementation and operation of international trade controls and processes and advise the business of any updates to UK import and export regulation.
We are looking for a senior customs professional who has experience in regulatory compliance in relation to business activities from non-EU countries. You will address trade compliance issues to mitigate import (as well as potential export) compliance risks and work closely with all stakeholders to ensure non-UK entities follow all the international and national regulations for the movement of goods.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a lead part in continuously shaping the trading strategy across our wider business network while making sure we are prepared for the challenges ahead.
Please note: the contractual job title for this role will be “Executive Consultant – Customs” in line with our internal structures
What you'll do
- Leading the Customs Team with full responsibility of all processes and systems
- Project managing the Brexit strategy including training and advising relevant business areas
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Undertaking continuous analysis of the regulatory environment, in particular, trade tariffs/duties and trade restrictions/requirements and ensuring accurate communication to the wider business
- Managing the liaison between regulatory bodies, trade partners and relevant internal departments
- Identifying risks and opportunities in Lidl GB’s complex supply chain
- Supporting relevant stakeholders in scenario planning and modelling post Brexit scenarios and requirements and their impact on all business areas
- Building and maintaining relationships with customs brokers
- Planning and managing multiple complex projects in deadline-driven environment
- Understanding the objectives and the impact of projects on the business and driving solutions to business-critical issues
- Developing, implementing, and optimising processes, systems, policies and standards
- Support the Director in all customs related matters and providing regular status reports up to Board level
What you'll need
- Extensive knowledge of import from non-EU countries, particularly the documentation and certificates needed for goods to enter the UK in a rapidly evolving compliance landscape
- Expert knowledge of Customs and Excise regulations
- Experience with customs authorisations (AEO, CFSP, bonded warehousing etc.)
- Experience managing Customs Compliance, identifying and correcting potential violations and providing management with summary reports
- Previous experience building processes, structures and frameworks is highly desirable
- Comfortable working with a complex system landscape, including SAP, GTS and customs broker systems
- Able to utilise existing networks and connections to build strong relationships with industry bodies
- Confident in establishing a strong customs network
- Team management experience
- Powerful influencing and communication skills with the ability to liaise effectively with employees across all levels of the business
- Strong project management skills to be able to work collaboratively with a range of business departments to complete a project successfully
- Ability to understand and present complex issues clearly and concisely
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Process focused with attention to detail and experience in setting up and managing processes and procedures
- Solid presentation skills, comfortable working with a variety of stakeholders at all levels
What you'll receive
This isn't getting by. This is getting what you deserve. Working at Lidl is rewarding, in every sense, because we give you the training to succeed in your role and plenty of opportunities to progress your career here. We're proud to offer a competitive salary (depending on experience) with an additional non-contractual 10% London weighting and a generous holiday allowance. Save for your future with our pension scheme, or save today with an in store discount, plus extra discounts on days out, cinema tickets and much more.
Please note your employment is conditional upon the Company's receipt of satisfactory references and if requested by the Company, a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Disclaimer: due to the high volume of applications we receive, we reserve the right to close a vacancy earlier than the advertised date. This is to ensure our teams can manage application levels while maintaining a positive candidate experience. Once a vacancy has closed, we are unable to consider further applications, so please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment