Do you have experience in Food or Drinks Packaging?
Do you have experience building relationships with suppliers?
Can you demonstrate successful NPD delivery – bringing packaging concepts/designs to market?
MacGregor Black are partnering with a Leading FMCG Manufacturer on the search for a Packaging Technologist. This is a permanent role based in Perthshire.
As the Packaging Technologist you will cover a variety of key areas including; Packaging Specification development and approval, Packaging Origination and support for NPD and Value Engineering projects.
- Manage and control Packaging specifications agreed with all suppliers, ensuring they are fit-for-purpose (for Consumer, Customer, Manufacturing, Logistics)
- Conduct trial work on new material introductions such as preform resins, shrink film blends etc.
- Organise and review Packaging and Transit trials to approve new specifications and/or new suppliers
- Analyse and review competitor packaging, providing data as requested to support team activities.
Packaging Development (NPD/EPD)
- Collaborate with NPD/EPD teams in trialling and approving Packaging specifications for new SKUs
- Assist with the assessment of new Product concepts and the most appropriate packaging solutions
- Encourage suppliers to bring new packaging concepts to HSL and watch out for new innovations (via Packaging/Grocery media)
Packaging Non-Compliance Management
- Investigate packaging non-compliance issues.
- Identify root cause and improvement actions required
- Ensure that Non-Compliances are “closed out” as required
- Target YOY improvement in reduction of non-compliances
- Bring technical expertise to the design, artwork, repro and print processes
- Maintain an electronic library of printed designs on internal database.
- Create and maintain all cutter profiles
Value Engineering (VE)
- Manage VE activities as required
- Collaborate with Engineering team on Packaging-related line improvement activities.
- Identify new cost saving projects with suppliers
- Manage Procurement Team Environmental activities
- Identify new Environmental projects
- Support the wider business with knowledge on recyclability and recycled content
Lead Responsibility – the role will cover some off the following (split with a colleague)
- Origination/Trial Budget responsibility
- maintain/issue all Highland Spring Brand GS1 barcodes
- Process ownership (Origination, Trials etc)
- Approved Resin List
- Packaging Datababase owner
- A lead responsibility may also be given for certain Material sectors eg. Preforms (rPET qualification and Closures (development/approval of tethered designs)
What we are looking for:
- Degree ideally in a scientific, design, materials engineering or technical discipline.
- Significant experience in specifying/trialling a range of packaging materials (ideally plastic injection- and blow-moulding). This experience would have been gained in the FMCG, Household, Pharma or Packaging sectors
- Experience of the Packaging Origination process and standard printing processes
- A good appreciation of the Environmental impacts of Packaging and the future direction of the major Retailers, WRAP and legislation
- Excellent computer literacy (MS word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint) and experience of report writing and documenting processes
Strong communication skills and the ability to interact with stakeholders at all organisational levels
On offer is a competitive salary + Benefits.
Please contact Craig Grainger today for further information