ABOUT SCOTLAND FOOD & DRINK
Food and drink is one of Scotland’s best performing and fastest growing sectors. Scotland Food & Drink (SF&D) is the industry leadership and membership organisation tasked with driving responsible growth through a collaborative partnership between the industry and public sector. We are a membership organisation with over 400 companies at our heart. Through our leadership and delivery work, we seek to build Scotland’s reputation as “A Land of Food and Drink” and make Scotland the best place in the world to run a food and drink business.
Scotland's products are unique but so too is Scotland Food & Drink. No other country in the world has created a body which facilitates and enables government and industry to work side by side. And since our formation in 2007 food and drink has become the best performing industry in Scotland. Today it is worth almost £15 billion.
The food and drink sector’s collaborative strategy ‘Ambition 2030’, which we lead, aims to double the value of the country’s farming, fishing and food and drink industry to £30 billion by 2030. Building skills and capability, forging a global reputation and developing the home and international markets for Scottish food and drink; Scotland Food & Drink is here to nurture, support and champion the people and products of Scotland’s food and drink industry to help deliver continued and growing success.
We are here to guide our members to realise untapped potential, to unlock new markets and maximise opportunities. We are committed to strengthening reputations, developing growth strategies, and broadening networks which will help deliver a competitive edge for our members and continued success for Scotland’s food and drink industry.
THE UK MARKET
Ambition 2030 has placed a major priority on developing the UK market for Scottish food and drink companies. The UK opportunity is immense; right on our doorstep is a growing market of over 66 million people where currency, location, and logistics work in our favour.
It’s a market where Scotland already has a strong and growing reputation and it’s already our biggest market. But our goal is to double our turnover in Scotland and the rest of the UK from £8.6 bn to £17 bn by 2030.
Home Advantage is our strategy to make this happen. It sits within the framework of Ambition 2030 and complements Scotland’s Food Tourism Action Plan.
It demonstrates how SF&D will collaborate with public sector and industry partners to define and build markets, from independent foodservice and retailers, to high end restaurants and the major multiples. And how we will develop programmes to support businesses of all shapes and sizes to realise their ambitions, extend their capabilities and deliver new opportunities to help gain a competitive advantage and grow and sustain profitable sales. Our aspiration is for Scotland to sell more on its own doorstep, the rest of the UK, and become a globally renowned food tourism destination.
The UK Market Development team continue to work collaboratively with retailers, wholesalers, and foodservice operators, building sustainable relationships that operate fairly and transparently for the whole supply chain, and create exciting career prospects Scotland-wide.
SCOTLAND’S DRINKS INDUSTRY SUPPORTED BY SCOTLAND FOOD & DRINK
Scotland Food & Drink assists with the day-to-day management of the distilling and brewing associations recognised as the SDA and TBAS.
The Brewers Association of Scotland (TBAS) is a sector specific, membership organisation open to all breweries who are predominately Scottish owned and brew less than 200,000 hectolitres per annum in Scotland. It is led by a Board made up of brewers and it exists to develop the sector as well as support individual company growth.
In January 2018 SF&D took on the day-to-day management of the Scottish Distillers Association (SDA). The SDA continues to be led by an independent Board who provide specific sector strategy and direction for the Association. The SDA has strict criteria for membership; companies must own and operate a still, manufacture and bottle in Scotland.
All TBAS and SDA members have access to the full benefits of Scotland Food & Drink membership.
A UK Market Development Manager role is being created with responsibility for delivering the industry’s UK market development work, with a focus on the Scottish drinks sector.
Reporting directly to the Market & Business Development Director, you will play a central role in assisting SF&D to support businesses with their ambitions to grow sales of Scottish products, meeting targets established in Ambition 2030.
An experienced, entrepreneurial, and commercially minded account manager is sought to:
Build and maintain strong and sustainable relationships with customers, to develop the growth of Scotland’s Drinks portfolio. You will need to have experience and knowledge of the UK On and Off Trade, along with a huge passion for craft beer and spirits to allow you to build and maintain strong, lasting and mutually beneficial and supportive relationships with a group of customers, to grow sales of Scottish products across the UK, meeting targets established in Ambition 2030.
Operating as the lead point of contact for all matters specific to your accounts, or where the customer plans may already be in play with others in the UKMD team, collaborate on multi-sector strategies. The UKMD Manager is responsible for filtering communication from and to the customer and SF&D.
You will have strong core sales skills including influencing, negotiation, quick problem solving, numeracy & analytical skills, and a commercial mind-set.
Great communication is key in all UKMD roles, both in dealing with UKMD Partners, the business base and the internal departments who assist you.
You will also be able to utilise our CRM to manage regular contact with your account base and ensure your time is purposeful / valuable to those present.
Previous FMCG experience in spirits and craft beers is essential, in depth knowledge of the alcoholic drinks sector and routes to market.
UK Market Development Manager – Drinks
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Formulate and implement new strategies to develop routes to market for Scotland’s drinks sector.
- Develop and manage high impact account relationships by developing strategic customer relationships between SF&D and the UK on and off trade drinks channels.
- Listening and evaluating customers’ requirements, through joint solution development, create bespoke account management plans for each customer.
- Within the customer plans, design and manage timely delivery of supplier development programmes which build the capability and capacity of a strong pipeline of sustainable Scottish drink companies, measuring and reporting on the outcomes.
- Facilitate commercial opportunities between suppliers and buyers, creating new opportunities for Scottish drink businesses to grow their sales and build their capabilities, measuring and reporting on the outcomes.
- Maintain a customer relationship management system.
- Manage and monitor all budgets, costs and outcomes associated with ongoing delivery.
- Contribute to SF&D cross-team projects, feeding into plans, sharing knowledge and contacts, and delivering work-stream elements as appropriate.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
The successful candidate will:
- Be commercially minded, with a deep understanding of the UK drink sector and supply chain in both On and Off Trade and have 5+ years working in that environment.
- Have previous FMCG experience in spirits and craft beers.
- Have excellent relationship-building ability, with an aptitude to operate and advise at senior level and work closely with senior stakeholders in large, complex organisations.
- Demonstrate a proven track record of selling a full portfolio of products.
- Have proven account management skills, including account profiling, with demonstrable track record of programme delivery.
- Be a team player, strong people skills to develop new and existing relationships.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills; clear communicator with excellent verbal, written and project management skills.
- Have excellent analytical, monitoring and reporting skills, allowing close monitoring of all programmes.
- Maintain high attention to detail.
- Demonstrate ability to solution build to meet the demand of account plans.
- Willingness to travel and able to attend events out with normal working hours.
- Exhibit good organisational and time management skills; proven ability to work to a deadline.
- Be resilient and tenacious.
- Familiarity with Microsoft packages and an ability to learn in-house systems.
- Ability to collaborate with internal teams, including Industry Development, Commercial Events & Projects, Communications and Marketing, Finance, and IT to support the delivery of projects and resolve queries.
- Experience of customer relationships in the retail or foodservice sectors.
- Full driving licence.
- Degree level qualification or equivalent.
Successful outcomes of the role will be:
- Scotland is recognised by key players in the UK retail and foodservice market as a leading destination for world class food and drink.
- Scotland Food & Drink is recognised by its members and all key stakeholders as driving growth in the UK for individual companies and the industry as a whole
- Our UK Market Development programme makes a major contribution to our vision for Scotland to be the best place in the world to run a food and drink business and SF&D’s industry and public sector partners are aligned behind a single growth strategy and operating plan, working collaboratively and collectively.
- Growth in sales of Scottish products across the UK rises, meeting and exceeding targets established in Ambition 2030 and outstripping growth elsewhere in the UK.
Salary £35-40k dependent on experience
Annual Leave entitlement 25 days (plus 10 bank holidays)
Working hours 35 hours per week, but flexibility required
Location Ratho, Newbridge (Home working is in place currently)
To apply, please send CV and covering letter to email@example.com with the title of the job you are applying for in the subject line.
Application deadline: Monday 23rd November, interviews will take place TBC.
Given the current Covid-19 pandemic, all interviews will take place via Teams calls and a degree of flexibility will be required. We appreciate your understanding on this matter