Category Executive - who wants to 'shine'
We are looking to recruit an ambitious category executive. The role will underpin the category & insights function through correctly coding product lines on a weekly basis for purchased market data from providers such as IRI and Kantar. Combined with on time effective reporting of performance, changes and establishing opportunities and 'so what’s'. Then communicating to and working with primarily the commercial and customer facing teams to put actions into place based on the data and facts determined.
The role will require the ability to be in Corby 2 days each week but the business has sites in the midlands and south west that can be used at other times.
Scope of Role
- You will be part of the category management & insights team working with market data software and databases through Excel as well as internal systems managing deadline based activities.
- You will Work under the direction of and supporting all team members covering all channels and customers i.e. major multiples, discounters, bargain stores, route to market i.e. convenience, petrol & travel, wholesale/cash & carry and food to go/out of home.
- The role will cover GB brands and own label working closely with other members of the category & insights team and wider business functions especially sales, marketing and NPD & Innovation
- Identify and clearly define key category and customer issues and opportunities then generate the insights needed to resolve as requested and as guided by Controllers/Director.
- Conduct store/venue audit work on a frequent basis. Own label gap analysis through store audits. Tracking of range and activity in Aldi, Lidl, farmfoods, Home Bargains, B&M Bargains, Poundland, Poundstretcher, One Below and The Range.
- Cash & Carry audits as required.
- Venue visits for OOH/FOTG as required.
- Category and market monitoring plus new product alerts and circulation.
- Competitor activity monitoring by retailer and channels.
- CSN weekly pricing monitoring and reporting for multiples and discounters.
- Reporting of store numeric distribution, value weighted distribution, compliance and operational delivery for TGL products working with sales to understand the why’s and any corrective actions as well as highlighting opportunities and gaps.
- Development of, up-dating and issuing of market packs for sales use with customers.
- Up-dating of Brand Facts file, gaining approval from IRI and Kantar and issuing to Marketing for use.
- Maintain reporting suites and timescales agreed for each retailer/sector as required by Category Controllers and Category Director.
- Maintaining and publication of range change and review calendars.
Required Qualifications, Experience & IT Skills
- A degree in a relevant field such as, Economics, Mathematics or similar
- ‘A’ Level Economics, Maths or Statistics
- Ability to mine data from databases using vendor specific extraction software
- Advanced Excel & PowerPoint skills
- Ability to work to strict deadlines
- Full UK driving licence
Behavioural Attributes / Capabilities / Skills
- Effective presentation capabilities
- Good commercial awareness and understanding
- Understanding of and interest in grocery, FMCG and food
- Highly numerate and analytical
- High degree of attention to detail
- Good communication skills both written & verbal
- Able to work efficiently in managing time and prioritising workload