Retail Innovation Manager
A.F. Blakemore & Son Ltd is one of the largest and most forward-thinking family-owned businesses in the UK. The company began life in 1917 as a counter service grocery store and has grown from these humble beginnings into a company that now employs more than 7,800 people with a turnover in excess of £1.1 billion.
The company is the largest independent convenience store operator in the UK with 600 independent retailers plus over 300 company owned SPAR stores.
A.F. Blakemore’s success has been built upon a distinct culture focused upon positive and friendly relations with staff, customers and the communities it serves. The Blakemore Way is a means to define this culture and ensure that the longstanding values of the Blakemore family will continue to drive the company’s growth for the next century.
Position: Retail Innovation Manager
Location: West Midlands, with the requirement for UK and occasional international travel
Job type: Full Time, Permanent
Salary: £Very Competitive with excellent benefits package including Bupa, car and more.
About the role:
Define and understand the customer needs to create and implement retail propositions across all commercial divisions to grow sales and margin above overhead inflation. Define, create and implement innovative ‘Store of the Future’ thinking across the 3 main Store Cluster types.
- Define and understand consumer needs using data, insight and market knowledge within the food retail sectors to develop in-store retail propositions.
- Work collaboratively with Commercial, Trading, Marketing and Operations Teams to deliver ‘Best in Class’ store layouts delivering improved customer experience and increased margin.
- Design and implement a pipeline of ‘Flagship’ stores to deliver a step change in performance across key clusters, with specific responsibility for; The identification and creation of innovative ‘Store of the Future’ concepts for each specific Cluster. Financial modelling for each concept. Post Project Review of each pilot. Building business case for scaling any piloted concepts.
- Understand the competition position, offering and strategies to inform the Proposition strategy.
- Develop an agile process of capturing opportunities and openings in the market.
- Engage and influence key stakeholders within AFB and the wider network to become early adopters or trailblazers of new initiatives in developing iconic retail stores to step change performance.
- Has real drive to deliver results, is tenacious and self-motivated.
- Experience and a proven track record of creating and delivering innovation in convenience store formats.
- Demonstrable commercial insight with very strong numeracy.
- Methodical and analytical, using data to present proposals that grow sales and deliver consumer needs.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a high performing team.
You may have experience of the following: Retail Innovation Manager, Innovation Manager, Retail Manager, Product Manager, Category Manager, Product Manager, Brand Manager, Range Manager, Buyer, Purchasing, Innovation, FMCG, Retail, etc.