Account Development Manager
Maverick Drinks has a vision to replace mainstream drinks with better quality craft alternatives. To achieve this, we work closely with our partners to reduce their reliance on mainstream brands by introducing them to higher quality, higher margin alternatives that their customers will love. It’s a simple formula that has worked well because we approach business with honesty, transparency, and passion.
We aim to be more than just a distributor. We’re entrepreneurial by nature and leading the craft spirits movement. We strive to add value to everyone we work with, whether it’s our brands, our partners, our team, or our community. We believe in championing transparency and pushing to make the whole world of spirits more open. Often described as disruptive, we’re the ones challenging the norms of our industry and always asking “why?” when something doesn’t make sense.
Most importantly, we think everyone matters – all the people selling our products, drinking our products, reviewing our products, or in any way involved in our products. We’re trying to build a community around them and we’re glad to have everyone a part of it.
About the role
Working alongside our awesome Partner Managers and Trade Marketing team, you will manage the sales (distribution, ROS and A&P activity) of the Samson & Surrey portfolio of craft spirits, which includes award-winning brands such as Brenne, Bluecoat Gin, FEW Spirits, Mezcal Vago and Widow Jane. A true advocate for these brands, you will be responsible for strengthening and growing their on-trade presence in London and other key UK cities:
- Support existing distribution and drive new business (50/50).
- Identify the biggest volume and margin-driving opportunities to meet sales targets and ensure the brands drive value for our business and our partners.
- Build and execute a clear and relevant strategy for the brands, targeting growth in distribution and supporting existing distribution with rate of sale initiatives during key trading periods.
- Support multiple venue groups, venues and retailers with innovative and tailored activity (menu support, sampling, staff engagement). The consumer experience will be at the heart of everything you do, and engaging the right people, in the right venues, in a way that puts the brands in the best light, will be paramount.
- Work with Partner Managers to share trade insights, opportunities and best practices.
- Collaborate with internal Maverick teams to bring Trade Marketing initiatives to life in trade.
- Live and breathe the brands to build advocacy from your partners in the trade and ensure they are as excited about the range as you are.
- Deliver regular and detailed progress reports that demonstrate exceptional results against the account strategy and plan.
- Proven track record of sales and/or account management in the UK drinks market, ideally working with premium/craft spirits brands.
- Demonstrable experience in creating and executing engaging sales incentives and support plans.
- In-depth understanding of the operations and financial sides of a bar, and of what drives the purchasing decisions behind the bar.
- Comprehensive knowledge of how spirits are produced and how best to use them, demonstrating examples of collaborative drinks and menu builds.
- Working on-trade knowledge of London + major regional cities, demonstrating your knowledge of the movers and shakers in focus areas.
- Ability to manage A&P spend and measure ROI.
- Curation of cocktail lists and trade marketing experience would be valuable.
Skills and qualifications
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to create and deliver engaging presentations.
- Excellent time management, planning and organisation skills.
- High levels of numeracy and literacy, with a commercial mindset.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Qualification at Higher Level would be desirable, as would degree level education.
- You are undeniably charismatic and enthusiastic.
- You’re a people person and people would say that about you.
- You care about the customer and always look for ways to add value.
- You are driven, proactive, capable of working autonomously and always with integrity.
- You think outside the box and can challenge the status quo, be maverick!
Why work for us?
Other than the standard benefits you expect to see from a business (think pension, cycle-2-work scheme, free eye care vouchers, childcare vouchers) we also offer…
- Flexible working We’re focussed on productivity and will work with you to make sure you’re happy with how you work.
- A relaxed working environment There are no suits and ties here (unless you insist).
- A challenge The opportunity to make a difference to the future of the business. It is our people who put us in the 2017 Sunday Times Fast Track 100.
- Personal Days Seven completely flexible personal days on top of your annual leave, because we all need a duvet day from time to time.
- A healthy staff discount on our world-class range. Just in case that makes a difference.
- (Un)healthy irreverence National pizza/doughnut/pie/lemonade/etc day? We got it covered.