Research Manager Job Description
You are passionate about research?
You don’t accept the status quo, but are always looking for ways to improve?
You want to work in an environment where you are fully responsible for the work you do?
If this sounds like you then we’d love to hear from you!
The research team at HIM/MCA proudly sees itself as a group of research & data geeks and we’re looking for a Research Manager to join us. We are a small team responsible for the research and data analysis of both of our agency’s arms – HIM who do research in the retail sector, and MCA who do research in the foodservice sector – and we are looking for somebody to manage our bespoke, syndicated, and tracker projects. You will be working in an “all hands on deck” environment with tight turnaround times that encourages independent and proactive working and gives you the opportunity to work alongside people that are just as excited by research and data as you are.
You will be reporting into the Head of Research, and will be working closely with data analysts, account managers, and external data collection and processing agencies, so being able to put on different “hats” when communicating is essential. Having a basic understanding of survey data structure/analysis will help you, but even if you don’t yet, what we’re looking for is somebody who is curious and has a growth mindset and will proactively find out the things they don’t know yet. Ideally, you’re a quanty with love for qual, as we often run mixed-method projects that require a good understanding of both. As part of your role you might sometimes be required to moderate Focus Groups in the evening or in cities outside of London.
What you will be doing
- Manage projects from questionnaire/discussion guide design to raw data delivery
- Keep track of project progression, deadlines, and budgets
- Organise our projects with our data collection & processing partners
- Communicate project timelines and progress updates to the account managers and data analysts
- Write questionnaires and discussion guides & do scripts tests
- Moderate Focus Groups
- Ensure we apply best practice to our research
Ideally you’re like this
- You are passionate about research and data
- You are curious, love learning, and always think about how to do things better
- You are independent and proactive
- You pay attention to detail and have a systematic work approach
- You’re able to work under pressure and adapt quickly to new situations or challenges
- Accuracy and being seen as credible is important to you
Ideally you know / can do this
- You have a good understanding of quant as well as qual methodologies (e.g. CATI, CAPI, CAWI, accompanied shops, Focus Groups, eye-tracking)
- You know how to write questionnaires for quant and discussion guides for qual and understand how they need to be adapted for different methodologies
- You have experience with managing several project at the same time
- You have solid skills in Excel (VLOOKUP, etc.)
- You know what best practice research approaches look like, e.g. quotas, weighting, sample sizes
- If you have experience with moderating Focus Groups that’s a plus
- You have a university degree in market research, psychology, or business (or another field that exposed you to market research theory) and 2+ years of experience working in market research or 4+ years of experience if you don’t have a research-related degree.
What will you get in return?
- An excellent opportunity to work for a company where you will be visible, accountable and rewarded highly for success. Based in Holborn Circus, London
- The position offer a competitive salary and a group wide pension scheme
- Join a fun, hard-working and committed team who live by our values; Inform, Connect, Inspire and Innovate
- Fruit in the office, subsidised massages.
- Opportunity to work with top FMCG companies
- Work in a friendly and motivating team that take quality of the research very seriously
- Competitive salary
- 25 days Holiday (plus Bank Holidays)
- Contributory pension
- Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection Scheme