Warehouse and Transport Manager
Job title: Warehouse and Transport Manager
Salary: £40 – 50k per annum (commensurate with experience)
Location: Greenwich, London
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Type: Permanent
Start Date: ASAP
Recruiter: Davy & Co Ltd (Wine Merchants)
Davy & Co Ltd (est 1870), a family run wine merchants based in Greenwich, London, currently have a vacancy for an experienced Warehouse and Distribution Manager. The ideal candidate will exhibit strong leadership qualities, taking responsibility for the planning, directing, running and coordination of the warehouse/cellar, security, stock, goods in/out and distribution, via a fleet of vehicles and 3rd party carriers within the M25 and nationally. This will include managing warehouse and delivery personnel and systems directing daily operations and managing all H&S practices and other relevant legislation. The role requires a dynamic, driven individual with the desire and strength of character to inspire operational and service excellence; an ability to delegate workloads efficiently and to multi-task. You will be polite and courteous at all times, able to maintain a positive attitude under pressure and display a logical approach to problem solving.
- Previous experience in leading a team in a warehouse/transport management environment
- Experience of FMCG warehouse environment (experience in wine industry preferential not essential)
- Customer service driven Sound planning and people management skills with experience of managing disciplinary and grievance procedures
- Knowledge of KPI’s with a thorough understanding of performance management in warehousing and distribution
- Knowledge of warehouse management systems
- Expert in putting together procedures and processes, with a methodical approach
- Willing to learn fine wine stock management systems and develop a high level of expertise in this area
- A problem solver committed to delivering quality in all areas
- Customer and Company focused with a pro-active approach as well as being able to handle and implement new ideas
- Excellent communication both verbal and written
- Forklift/ reach-truck trained
- Good knowledge of Microsoft packages
- Lead a team (10-15) managing capability levels and talent management processes through recruitment, training and performance management to achieve and exceed all performance and service objectives.
- Oversee all inbound and outbound logistics operations, such as warehouse activities, transportation, safety performance, or logistics quality management
- Responsibility for security and maintenance of site and point of contact for key external contractors
- Ensure presentation of team, building and vehicles adhere to the agreed company standards and structures
- Accountable for the accurate physical counting and recording of inventory, to help identify trends and implement procedures to minimise loss/exposure
- To lead and deliver a safety first plan within the team using the appropriate Safety and near miss processes
- Effective planning of resources to achieve and exceed KPI’s (pick efficiency, cost, quality, service)
- Analyse performance using problem solving techniques to plan and action performance improvements
- Responsibility for tracking all orders from despatch through to timely completion of delivery complying with company procedures and processes
- Liaise with and communicate to internal / external customers, colleagues and other third parties to a first class level to deliver and exceed customer expectations
- Deliver effective communication to your team and conduct regular individual reviews and where necessary agree a performance improvement plan.
- Where necessary, conduct disciplinary and grievance meetings ensuring adherence to company disciplinary and grievance policies.
- Ensure the use of optimal transportation modes, routing, equipment, or frequency
- Ensure compliance with all legislation for vehicle fleet, machinery and equipment
- Review and continually improve risk assessment procedures and practices.
- Develop risk management programs to ensure continuity of supply in emergency scenarios
- Establish or monitor specific supply chain-based performance measurement systems
- Ensure carrier compliance with company policies or procedures for product transit or delivery.
- Negotiate transportation rates or services
- Improve supply chain efficiency or sustainability
- Plan or implement improvements to internal or external logistics systems or processes
- Analyze the financial impact of proposed logistics changes, such as routing, shipping modes product volumes or mixes, or carriers
- Analyze all aspects of logistics to determine the most cost-effective or efficient means of transporting products or supplies
- Conduct or review audits for logistics activities, such as storage, distribution, or transportation
- Carry out all other requests from management on an adhoc or regular basis as required.