Head of Commercial
Head of Commercial
An exciting sales leadership position reporting to the Managing Director of Delicious Alchemy, a ground breaking food business supplying many of the UK supermarkets with high quality, great tasting gluten-free products. The foundations have been set for exponential growth and this is an opportunity for a hungry, hands-on commercial leader to make a real impact.
Set up in 2006 by founder Emma Killilea (motivated by her own health challenges as a coeliac) Delicious Alchemy provides a range of branded and own label gluten-free products across several categories. Today, the business operates from a purpose-built BRC A+ accredited factory near Sheffield and offers its customers and consumers unrivalled capability in terms of product quality, safety standards and allergen controls.
The team have built excellent relationships with most of the UK’s food retailers plus numerous wholesale, high street and foodservice partners. The breakfast and baking categories account for the vast majority of the 40+ SKUs, although they supply baked goods to the foodservice channels and the innovation pipeline is in a healthy position.
Although the own label portfolio currently makes up the majority of sales, the Delicious Alchemy brand is of real focus now and the objective is to grow this significantly. The Free-From market in the UK is expected to rise from c£1bn to almost £5bn over the next 2-3 years and the cereals category alone is evidence of this. Main stream or Non-Free-From cereals are in decline by 3% year on year, where as spend on the Free-From product and equivalents is up almost 40%.
The Head of Commercial would join Delicious Alchemy at a time where foundations are solid and branded sales are gaining momentum. There are opportunities in retail, foodservice and export and cross functional colleagues know how to support sales to deliver fast in this technically demanding category. The choice of which “roots to water” will be for the Head of Commercial to decide so this is definitely an opportunity to create the strategy, to shape the business and align everyone towards growth.
This is a hands-on sales role, personally accountable for the grocery multiples with other channels managed by a small team. Business development, buyer engagement and account management is at the heart of the remit, with a need to juggle many balls and manage a high level of complexity.
As part of the leadership team you will play an instrumental role in business management decisions beyond the sales function.
We are looking for someone with an appetite for a high-growth, small business environment and the opportunity to make a real impact. In terms of experience and interpersonal style, you will need to align to the following profile:
- FMCG sales leader with experience of brand and private label
- New business generator, highly capable account manager and competent negotiator
- Must have experience of selling food or beverage products with a degree of ingredient complexity
- Free-from experience or personal preference would be advantageous but is not prerequisite
- Account management of at least 2 of the top 6 six retailers and experience across other channels, ideally foodservice
- Successful track record of juggling the demands of several customers simultaneously
- Experience of working in a founder-owned business would be advantageous
Interpersonal style & approach
- Organised, pro-active and punctual individual with strong project management skills and the ability to keep “multiple plates spinning”
- Clear, structured and articulate communicator comfortable getting into the details where necessary
- Pragmatic, grounded, low-ego individual with a strong work ethic and hands-on approach to business development and account management
- “Player-manager” attitude in terms of management, leads by example and supports individual development needs
- Influences through fact and sound judgement and supports new ideas with data and reasoned argument
The search and assessment process is being managed by our retained partners at bpesearch and applications should be sent to email@example.com quoting DK/27211/bpe Please note that all direct and 3rd party applications will be forwarded to bpesearch for consideration.