Overall Objective of Role
To join a dynamic and forward thinking company to source new and exciting product from the UK and abroad. Ensuring we are getting exclusives and are first to market with new launches and maximizing allocations from suppliers. To work closely with the head buyer to ensure we are achieving the best deals from the suppliers both large and small. Negotiating with them throughout the year on various promotions. Analysing sales in both on trade and off trade to ensure that we are getting the right prices on our key products and that margins are hit and/or exceeded. Watching the market and our competitors and accessing when we need to re-negotiate or secure better pricing.
Due to business requirements, it is expected that this employee will need to have a high degree of flexibility in order to meet the demands of the role. Therefore it may be necessary to work out of normal working hours due to the nature of the customer base. The role holder must be able to
adjust to a broad and fluid set of tasks as requirements change in this progressive company.
- Company Directors
- Head Buyer
- Supply Chain team
- Company directors
- Shop team
- On Trade team
- Customer service team
- Events team
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- To manage product assortment and range expansion, through selection and development of products which optimise sales and profitability, in line with Business objectives, working in collaboration with key stakeholders.
- To develop and deliver customer-focused category strategies to achieve the agreed buying plan. Through use of supplier/ consumer data show flexibility and ability to adapt plans to changing to market conditions.
- Negotiation and agreement of costs of goods with suppliers, in accordance with our pricing policies and effectively negotiate business terms with existing and new suppliers.
- Maximise strategic return on promotions
- Consistently demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of relevant categories and translate this into business opportunities
- Able to reduce or control costs whilst being commercially focused, working with the Head buyer to maximize profits in ways that work with both ourselves and the suppliers
- Bring on board new suppliers to enable further growth, and to manage the supplier base to ensure we have the right products on board and delist products that are no longer working
- Working with supply chain to manage high stock levels through promotion or supplier returns
- Working with the company directors on monthly offers and stock deals during key months of the year.
- Support all aspects of the business, including online, on-trade, retail and editorial teams in order to ensure the best sales and profits for the business
Key Skills and Knowledge
- Enjoyment of analysis, deal making and maximizing profits
- Ability to show strong negotiation skills
- Minimum of 8-10 years buying experience in a fast paced and price driven organization
- Ability to target and deliver significant cost savings
- Excellent mathematical ability
- Analysing consumer buying patterns and predicting future trends
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent IT skills including Excel and Microsoft packages
- Confident decision maker
- Ability to work with different teams or alone
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to multi task; dealing with multiple projects efficiently and effectively
- Excellent problem solving abilities
- Willingness and desire to learn
- Ability to remain calm under pressure, remaining professional at all times
- Stakeholder Management
- Supplier Management
- Buying management
- Supplier economics
- Commercial buying experience
- Knowledge of spirits and wine business
- Knowledge of Defacto
- Experience with import and export process
A training plan will encompass the following to ensure effectiveness of the employee if not already possessed and verified or experienced in:
- ERP system, (Defacto)
- other in-house systems
- training as required conducted on an on-going basis.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Act in accordance with the relevant Health & Safety policies and procedures, adhering to legislative compliance and company requirements.