Department/Section: Atom Brands
Salary range: Highly Competitive
Place of work: Tonbridge
Reporting to: Head Buyer
Atom Brands is the product development and manufacturing business unit within Atom Group which also includes Maverick Drinks (UK distribution) and Master of Malt (global online retail). Our brands include Ableforth’s (Bathtub Gin), That Boutique-y Whisky Co, That Boutique-y Gin Co, The Blended Whisky Co, Origin Single Botanical Gin, The Handmade Cocktail Co, 1897 Quinine Gin and Darkness!
In the last 5 years, our brands have won dozens of global awards (World’s Best - Blended Whisky, Blended Malt, Grain Whisky, Liqueur, Gin, Spiced Rum & Pre-mixed Cocktail - many on multiple occasions) regularly triumphing in blind tastings against some of the world’s largest and longest-established products from businesses three orders of magnitude larger than ours. This speaks to our no-compromise approach to creation and crafting. We make the best - we don’t work backwards from price-points or seek to ‘fill gaps’.
To build a network of contacts with world distilleries (think USA, Australia, India, France etc.) to buy bulk spirits with a view to growing and developing Atom Brands’ portfolio.
This is a hugely exciting chance to be part of a growing drinks business which defies convention and was recently named in the Sunday Times Fast Track 100
Essentials of the job
- Take responsibility for the process of making contact with distilleries globally
- Start and develop relationships, occasionally travelling within the UK and abroad to meet contacts as needed
- Obtain samples for the tasting panel to assess (Head Buyer, Head of Whisky, and others)
- Negotiate competitive prices and terms
- Provide input into label design and pricing after discussion with distillery/brand owners
- Work closely with internal teams - Logistics, NPD, Marketing and Production
- Work flexibly within the role to accommodate changing priorities and seasonal demand
- Support the Head Buyer with any other duties and responsibilities commensurate with the grade and role
Experience, skills and qualifications
- Solid buying experience in spirits is essential
- Experience of working with different brands from both ends of the market
- Superlative communication and interpersonal skills, both oral and written, and the ability to present well
- Highly developed negotiation skills
- Strong commercial acumen and numeracy skills
- Excellent time management and organisation skills and the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Good IT competency, including Google Suite of apps
- Minimum GCSE Maths grade A - C, or broadly equivalent
- A real interest in spirits
- A great people person
- Empathetic with the ability to listen and understand the key dynamics in each relationship
- Drive and motivation to broker great deals
- Team player, with a positive and collaborative approach
- Keen eye for design
Why work for us?
Other than the standard benefits you expect to see from a business (think pension, cycle-2-work scheme, free eye care vouchers, childcare vouchers) we also offer…
- Flexible working We’re focussed on productivity, not the clock. We’ll work with you to make sure you’re happy with how and when you work.
- Free food A hungry worker is not a happy worker. We stock our kitchens with what you need to get you through the day.
- Free fancy coffee George Clooney endorsed, no less...
- A relaxed working environment There are no suits and ties here (unless you insist).
- A challenge The opportunity to make a difference to the future of the business. It is our people who put us in the 2017 Sunday Times Fast Track 100.
- Personal Days Seven completely flexible personal days on top of your annual leave, because we all need a duvet day from time to time.
- A healthy staff discount on our world-class range. Just in case that makes a difference.
- (Un)healthy irreverence National pizza/doughnut/pie/lemonade/etc day? We got it covered.
If you think you have got what it takes to be our Cask Buyer please apply now!