Head of Commercial - Master of Malt
Master of Malt is a multi-award-winning online spirits retailer, recently named Global Online Retailer of the Year for the sixth time in seven years at Whisky Magazine's Icons of Whisky, and also joining the Sunday Times FastTrack 100.
We're known not only for our vast range of single malt Scotch whiskies, fine spirits and other imbibables, but also for our market-leading focus on innovation and customer experience.
The culture here is one of hard work but also great fun. We like to think of our business as a creative, driven, fast-paced, informal place to work. Focused, fun and smart people tend to get on well here.
About the role
Master of Malt is looking for a world class Head of Commercial to help take the business to the next level. Although our growth has been incredible to date, we know that there’s a new era just around the corner as we further increase our commitment to becoming the only relevant online destination for an increasingly demanding and sophisticated spirits consumer.
As the bar continues to be raised across ecommerce and customers expect more from their experiences, so we must continue to push ourselves to stay ahead of those expectations. We have some incredible offerings - such as the ability to blend your own whisky online - and gift vouchers that never expire and attract interest over time - but there is a very long list of killer features up our sleeves, and we need someone to take point on those projects.
Specifically, you’ll be required to:
- Conceive, prioritise and deliver MoM commercial projects (in collaboration with our software developers and marketing team), including category strategy reviews (pricing, ranging, merchandising, etc) and feature development (personalisation solution, etc).
- Develop and manage the buying function, ensuring that we source the right range at the right time and price.
- Accountability for pricing, setting and delivering the right margins at a product and category level.
- Assume P&L responsibility, collaborating across marketing and finance to ensure financial goals are being delivered.
- Contribute generally to Master of Malt as a member of the leadership team.
- Collaborate generally across Atom Group as a commercial leader.
Ecommerce experience is a must, including pricing and features development project management. Ideally you will have been in the trenches on both, testing price points to find the right balance between conversion and unit margin, and being able to demonstrate that you understand customer needs deeply and can deliver projects to meet those needs.
You need to have a relevant professional degree, or something equivalent (an MBA, advanced level diploma, etc).
You’ll need to have had at least five years in a commercial role (three of which managing teams) in order to have picked up the kind of war stories we’ll be looking for in your interviews.
You need to be an inspirational leader with a track record of delivering excellence through teams.
You need to be a whizz with data, working with our analytics function to make data-driven decisions about what the next thing we start (or stop) doing should be.
You’ll be given a lot of latitude to operate from the outset, but you’ll be expected to earn that trust very quickly. If you’re confident you’re the one we’re looking for, then please get in touch. You can expect a less formal conversation as a first round, then a more intense grilling and some online testing as things progress.
Apply for Head of Commercial - Master of Malt
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly