Head of Sales and Marketing - Retail Sector
Our client is a leading retail business, headquartered in Scotland with an impressive track record of growth and a strong reputation. They employ over 500 staff and have a significant shop portfolio with ambitious plans going forward. An opportunity has arisen for a Head of Sales and Marketing, reporting to the Managing Director, to join their senior management team.
The role is accountable for both operational performance and leadership of the commercial agenda. Development and implementation of commercial plans, leadership coaching and evolution of a strong ‘customer service focused culture’ will be key components of the role.
Specific responsibilities include;
- Setting and achieving stretching targets for growth.
- Managing the efficient operation of the retail portfolio, driving development and consistency of both brand and retail proposition.
- Leadership of the retail team in delivering excellent customer service and satisfaction.
- Development and implementation of innovative marketing strategy in response to market dynamics and commercial strategy.
- Responsibility for interpreting market trends and customer requirements, feeding this into the business and supporting new product development.
This is a key leadership position in the organisation, acting as a figurehead to the area management structure and responsible for the largest headcount in the business. There is a significant coaching focus to the role, with a large proportion of time spent in shops every week with area managers.
Skills and Experience Required:
This position plays a critical role in the front line of the business, and the individual will be required to have a clear appreciation for the values and culture that drive the organisation in order to deliver the role effectively. Experience in an SME environment is therefore of interest, of greater importance is a high degree of emotional intelligence and understanding.
The business prides itself on the role it plays in the communities it serves, and they enjoy a loyal customer following. High standards of customer service and consistency are key to maintaining their strong reputation. Candidate’s experience must therefore include a track record of providing leadership across to a large portfolio of shops, ideally in a best in class environment where brand and quality is of central importance.
Candidates experience must include the following:
- 10+ years in a senior role with a strong track record of personal accountability.
- Excellent knowledge of retail management, covering marketing strategy and activation, training and development, performance analysis, negotiation and operational improvement.
- A proven record of driving brand messaging, consistency of customer experience and staff development across a geographically dispersed portfolio of shops.
- An understanding the voice of the customer and translating this for the business. Capable of distilling brand values and driving performance of shops and people in line with this.
The management brings a values based approach to their people strategy. Candidates should be aligned to this, with a strong personal ethical and moral code.
Personal attributes sought include:
- Gravitas, able to influence and construct an engaging business case/argument;
- A critical eye for detail and passion for improvement in all aspects of retail;
- Straightforward, honest approach with a high level of communication skills;
- Personality, which demonstrates energy and drive as well as good listening skills;
- A self-starter, able to take the initiative and push projects forward but also highly consultative and comfortable with working with business owners; and
- Agilile,adaptable and entrepreneurial nature.
Interested applicants should apply via this advert or contact Louise Gibson at New Town Partnership on 0131 210 0020.
New Town Partnership is acting as exclusive retained advisor in regard to this opportunity.