Today J Sykes and Sons is proud to supply over 500 Wholesale customers, Key Multi National Retailers and Food Manufacturers. Employing 85 staff in management and support roles and a further 40 staff in our busy production facilities our business is geared for future growth and evolution. With a turnover approaching £100 million, we are considered to be the premier importer of quality Frozen Fish and Seafood to the UK and Irish markets, with an expanding export market program underway. We are supported by an integrated proposition, using our advanced UK production facilities to apply higher levels of product safety, value adding and cost reductions.
We have a great opportunity for an ambitious and driven SENIOR BUYER to join our Purchasing team in Manchester. Reporting to the Managing Director, this role will involve building relations with new and existing suppliers and developing a purchasing strategy, to control and manage the Purchasing Function.
The ideal candidate will have experience of working within in the FMCG sector, seafood or frozen sector desirably. The candidate will need to feel comfortable working in a fast paced environment, managing multiple tasks, and working to strict deadlines. Strong computer literacy skills are a must and formal food related qualifications will be beneficial.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage and continuously review company stocks to ensure inventory is at agreed levels to meet and support the requirements of the business.
- Negotiate and Purchase materials in line with inventory targets.
- Continually review the overall “value” offered by existing suppliers and ensure that the Company’s purchasing remains globally competitive.
- R&D new supplier relationships from new origins to continually support and broaden our supply chain and product mix.
- Assist with regular re-negotiations of terms of business/service agreements and performance evaluation with suppliers, taking corrective action as required.
- Help support the product development and marketing teams to continually develop new ranges of exciting and commercially attractive products for Retail and Foodservice Customers.
- Liaise with the sales teams in order to correctly feed them market information in order to ensure our market price proposition is correctly positioned.
- Lead, motivate and develop direct reports to ensure that the highest level of service is provided to members at all times.
- Keep up to date on retail trends, competitor activities and customer requirements at all times.
- Timely and effective communication of forecasts and purchase orders to suppliers and internally reporting to the Purchasing Director.
- Ability to engage direct reports to deliver the plan with effective communication, clear goals and individual targets and objectives.
- Influence colleagues at all levels across the business in order to effect required results
- Overseas Travel required to visit new & existing Supplier Factories
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- 5+ year's relevant retail buying experience.
- Knowledge of retailer codes of practice, requirements & systems.
- Awareness and understanding of relevant legislation is beneficial.
- Formal food related qualifications will be beneficial
- Excellent organisation and time management skills.
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills; able to close deals.
- Proven track record of results delivery and achieving financial targets.
- Good understanding of all Microsoft applications
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written. Understanding and demonstration of the need to share information through development of effective working relationships, both internally and externally.
- Full Driving Licence
Closing Date to Apply: 22nd September 2017
If you have the necessary skills and experience for this position, please use the 'apply' button below.
We aim to provide feedback to all applicants, but due to the volume of applications being received we are not always able to do this; if you do not receive any form of communication from us within 2 weeks of the closing date for submitting applications, then unfortunately your application was not successful on this occasion. We will however retain your CV on file, should another position become available in the future
Apply for SENIOR BUYER
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly