KEY ACCOUNT MANAGER
Melissa & Doug started with just a boy, a girl, and a dream. Like many great start-up stories, there was even a garage involved. Nearly 30 years and hundreds of employees later, the company still has that entrepreneurial, playful vibe. With its consistent growth over the past three decades to over $350 million in sales across 100+ countries, the company is now focused on accelerating that growth to new levels. To learn even more about our mission, our history, and our movement to Take Back Childhood, visit the company website.
Net sales have grown at double digits for almost 30 years to over $300 million
One of just 2 global toy companies to show significant growth in the past 5 years
Top-5 vendor with Amazon, which positions the company well for further growth
Very strong brand metrics, with one of the highest NPS scores in the category
Melissa & Doug is now a global top-15 toy company
Like many great stories, this one involved a girl, a boy, and a dream. Melissa and Doug (yep, they’re real people!) longed to make toys for kids that would open up a world of discovery. Melissa brought her passion, creativity, and focus. Doug brought his playful energy, vision, and leadership.
They both brought a certain sensibility to their work from having each been raised by educators. In 1988, barely out of childhood themselves, they began working out of Doug’s parents’ garage. Before long, they introduced their first hit toy: the wooden Fuzzy Farm Puzzle. It was a simple idea, really. Take a sleepy toy category and add a twist – in this case, texture. Eventually, they would expand beyond puzzles, bringing their unique perspective to dozens of toy categories and play experiences all at a price parents could afford.
As the Melissa & Doug company grew over the years, so too did Melissa and Doug’s family. With their six children serving as both inspiration and as a pint-size product testing team, the couple has been able to constantly engage with kids and observe how they play, what motivates them, and how they best develop critical problem-solving, creative, and social-emotional skills through their play.
The approach of adding a little something extra to classic play patterns (“some pizzazz,” as Melissa calls it) and creating toys based on improving upon the past, has led to the creation of more than 2,000 toys, games, and crafts. Today, Melissa & Doug is available in 100+ countries, consistently delivering products with an uncompromising commitment to quality, safety, service, and value – all while remaining true to the original goal of inspiring kids to use their imaginations and be creative.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Key Account Manager role at Melissa & Doug is responsible for:
- Business planning – develop country growth plans to grow existing accounts and build new accounts while investing for growth via targeted trade investments to deliver profitable growth and meet revenue and margin targets.
- Relationship management – establish, build, and maintain strong relationships with a wide variety of retail partners [hypermarkets, eCommerce, toy specialists, independent stores]
- Active trade development – identify, research, and develop well considered plans for new target account [assortment, shelf location, pricing, promotion], and proactively pursue these opportunities to bring incremental and sustainable revenue to the company.
- Customer marketing – develop necessary Customer Marketing strategies to yield positive returns on investment.
- Customer influence – influence customers to grow sales through joint business planning of win-win solutions - improved assortments, better merchandising, efficient and effective trade support, and high in-stock levels
- Account compliance – continually track account execution of planograms, in-stock levels, shelf pricing, promotion execution, and work with accounts to correct any issues
- New product introductions – launch proven new global product opportunities across accounts with excellence.
- Team collaboration – be an active and integral part of the broader European sales team, sharing learnings, collaborating on cross-country accounts, and strive for continuous improvement of approaches.
- Forecasting – provide accurate and timely forecasts while considering account trends, seasonality, and promotion windows.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- College – Bachelors degree (any discipline); Masters a plus
- Experience – minimum of 8 years of experience in sales or account management or business development; toy industry experience and/or CPG industry experience a plus; relationship management with hypermarkets and eCommerce a plus.
- Track record – successful and demonstrable track record of sales achievement
- Language – strong fluency in English; additional languages a plus.
- Autonomous – must be self motivated and detail oriented to direct own work, and be able to work remotely and proactively.
- Communication – excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to influence people with strong presentation skills.
- Flexibility – the ability to think flexibly, pro-actively solve problems and find solutions is critical.
- Time management – must be able to work at a fast pace to manage existing accounts and develop new accounts at the same time.
REPORTS TO: Managing Director of Europe [based in Amsterdam]
LOCATION: Remote [work from home]
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Melissa & Doug is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply for KEY ACCOUNT MANAGER
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly