This job is no longer available
Greencore Group plc is a leading convenience food business with an annual turnover in excess of £1 .1 Billion. Operating 16 high-quality convenience food manufacturing facilities in the United Kingdom and a further 6 in the United States, we employ c.11,000 people providing a wide range of chilled, frozen and ambient foods to major retail and food service customers in the UK, the US and Ireland.
Operating from the heart of the picturesque Somerset village of Evercreech since the end of the nineteenth century this facility manufactures award-winning chilled desserts for Marks & Spencer. Acquired by Greencore in September 2011 significant investments are being made at the site to ensure that the category continues to supply many more innovative and award-winning products in the years ahead.
We are currently recruiting for an experienced Category Buyer to join our team based in Evercreech, Somerset due to the increasing focus and scope of the purchasing activity within Desserts and Foodservice categories as a result of the integration of the acquisition of the Uniq sites at Evercreech and Minsterley.
The key function of the role will be to identify cost saving initiatives for the category, sites and group, and implement them in challenging timescales. You will act as Lead Buyer for the Greencore Group, for various ingredients; to develop expertise in terms of product and industry knowledge and continue to implement Greencore's Total Lowest Cost approach across the supply base.
- Provide purchasing leadership and business input from the external market to the Site Exec teams at Greencore Evercreech, Greencore Minsterley and Greencore Taunton.
- Identify preferred suppliers who will deliver both commercial requirements for the group, and bring innovation to the category.
- Assist supply chain teams to deliver materials on time and in full
- Assist technical teams in ensuring suppliers meet all technical requirements of the sites, and ultimately the customers.
- Assist the Category Purchasing Controller, in developing and leading the implementation of purchasing strategy to meet category and Greencore Group requirements.
- Determine the purchasing strategy for lead purchases and implement agreed action plans.
- Take a leading role in establishing and monitoring a vendor rating system for the site supply base.
Skills & experience
Ideally the candidate will be CIPS qualified or working towards this, although this is not essential. Personal attributes and experience are more important than qualifications; however degree level intellect is a necessity.
- Experience in procurement of FMCG items.
- Knowledge of a diverse range of buying and reporting systems as well as a high degree of numeracy
- Knowledge of process to deliver cost reduction & process innovation from suppliers.
- Ability to interact and influence across all levels and functions.
- Successful background which demonstrates the use of influencing skills and management of change.
- Creative, with ability to 'think outside the box' as well as the drive and determination to succeed.
- Enjoys a busy, competitive environment and shows commitment to role.
- Ideally with some knowledge of the dairy industry.